I went up to Helsinki this past weekend with three of my friends from DIS. We had incredible, sunny weather in the mid-50s, AKA t-shirt weather according to the locals. I don't know about that, but I can say that I got my full dose of Vitamin D for the next few weeks.
|8 a.m. waterside walk|
After a great night of sleep with my calves and feet hanging off the end of the trundle bed mattress, we were up and at 'em at 7:30 for a day of exploration!!! One of my roommate's friends from home is Finnish and living in Helsinki for the next 7 years (the time it will take him to repeat high school and go to university), and he offered to show us around town. Saturday's Itinerary:
8:00: Up at the crack of freaking dawn to walk around and look at the water. Ooh, pretty... Too bad it's 8 in the morning, people.
9:00-12:00: Take a ferry to Suomenlinna, an old sea fortress and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Now this was cool. The island is still inhabited, so there are lots of little shops around. There are also amazing walking paths, historical sites, and photo ops.
12:00-1:00: Return to the mainland and head to a rooftop bar, called the Ateljee Bar. Amazing, amazing views. And some delicious "Finnish" drink that is a basic spin on my signature G&T.
1:00-4:00: Walk to the Market Square, Lutheran Cathedral, and Russian Orthodox Church, called the Ravintola Sipuli.
4:00-6:30: Home for THE BEST NAP OF MY LIFE.
9:00-3:00: Out on the town. Hilarity ensues.
- To quote Dane Cook, have a "I just wanna dance!" kind of night. Loving life.
- Suddenly, with an Albanian man who is at least 10 years older than me. Wonder when that happened.
- Try to ditch with the bathroom line.
- He is waiting for me outside the bathroom.
- Try to ditch with the crying best friend line.
- He's not buying it.
- Somehow he manages to dance while spinning me in circles. Not his best idea.
- Decide to "go home"
- End up chatting with some random Finnish guys, make plans for coffee tomorrow (right)
- Miss three trains to go home.
- Nice English man informs us we'd better get on this train, as it's the last one for the night. Righty-o, sir.
|Reminds me that fall is in full swing|
|Ferry ride to the island|
|Lutheran Cathedral of Helsinki|
|Russian Orthodox Church, Ravintola Sipuli|
|Sweet cover band pre dance floor|
|Outside the Regatta Cafe|
After coffee/tea, we went to Temppeliaukio Kirkko, or the Rock Church. This entire church was carved into a rock hill, and the ceiling is a copper dome. We made it to the church five minutes before closing... such a success.
|Temppeliakio Kirkko from the outside|
|Inside - altar directly in front|
|Photo Cred: Carrie Winans|